I am a first-generation college student, so I know firsthand how difficult it can be to navigate academia and higher education. My philosophy regarding teaching is to support and prepare my students based on their current needs and future goals. I firmly believe in trickle-down engagement: Before I can expect my students to be excited about my class and be engaged, I must first establish those practices within myself. I’ve found this philosophy to transform even the most dreaded of courses. Below, I offer some of the trainings I’ve taken and courses I’ve taught.
Pedagogy/Mentoring Training and Experience
- Completed the course, CEP820: Teaching Students Online, at Michigan State University
- Completed a semester-long workshop on pedagogy and teaching practices
- Initiated a teaching workshop for graduate students
- Participated in mentorship program of graduate students
- Mentored undergraduate students in completing research and honor’s project
- ADV342: Account Planning and Research
- This course provides students with foundational knowledge of different research methods, including secondary research, ethnographies, focus groups, interviews and surveys.
- I’ve taught this course in-person, online, and as a hybrid.
- A syllabi developed for this course can be found here.
- AVD260: Principles of Public Relations
- This course provides an introduction to the field of public relations.
- Graduate Student Teacher Impact Award (2020)
What Students Have Said
This class is probably my favorite advertising course I have taken so far. I really like how you teach and are passionate about what you do. You always take time to ask if we have questions and you seem to just genuinely care about your students unlike just trying to get through the content and leaveStudent feedback, 2020
Nikki McClaran is one of the best professors I’ve had. She is kind, makes the material engaging and challenges students so that they actually learn something.Student feedback, 2020
I love the structure and the organization of the course. I have never had such a well thought out D2L page for any class before. I like your ability to connect with students and the real life examples were great. Overall love the way this course was structured and also found the material to be interesting and relatable.Student feedback, 2019